Participating in an endurance race is one of the most rewarding experiences that you can partake in. When it comes to choosing a races, choices abound.
Ultramarathons are not only scenic, they are extremely challenging. Unlike conventional marathons, Ultras come in different shapes and sizes.
There are single-day races, such as Laugarvegur Ultra (55k) to multi-day stage races such as Marathon de Sables and Fire and Ice Ultra.
- Trans Atlas Ultra: This is a relatively young race, founded and managed by the legendary Ahansal brothers in Morocco.
- Badwater Ultramarathon: This 217k race is one of the most challenging races in the world. It takes place in the Badwater Basin in the Death Valley in California.
- Tarawera Ultramarathon: The Tarawera Ultra is very scenic run, that takes place in Rotorua in New Zealand.
- Marathon des Sables: This is a 6-day race through the Sahara Desert which exposes your frail skin to some of the harshest conditions in the world, and the biggest part is that you are left fending for yourself.
- Tor des Géants: This ultra-endurance marathon takes you on a journey across the Aosta Valley in Italy. Many marathon runners claim this to be the toughest marathon race in the world, and with good reason.
Triathlons, combing swimming, running and cycling, take your physical endurance to the extremes and they force you to exert your body in many ways.
- Escape from Alcatraz is perhaps the most iconic triathlon event in America and the world. Hundreds of triathletes from around the world participate every year.
- The Challenge Roth course is believed by many to be the fastest iron-distance course.
- The Norseman Xtreme Triathlon is a scenic and challenging course.
- Wildflower Trail Runs is a another American triathlon, taking place in Texas.
- The Ironman Lake Tahoe is a triathlon with a cult-like following. If you are a committed triathlete, then there is absolutely no reason why you should miss this event.
- The Lanzarote Triathlon takes place in the Canary Islands. The swim is in relatively calm sea water, but both the bike leg and run take you across hills, from steep ascends to grueling descents.